Thursday, July 24, 2014

Links

Our History

 

Our Lady of Lourdes parish was established in 1892. The original territory extended east to Lake Michigan and from Wellington Ave. to Devon Ave. The neighborhood has been in constant change over the years requiring renovation and reconstruction of the church. The Church has been located in three different locations since its beginning.

Originally, the church was a wood frame building with a bell tower on the west side of Ashland Ave. This was replaced by the current Spanish Renaissance style church in 1916 on the east side of Ashland Ave.

In 1929 the city of Chicago and the parish made the decision to move the entire church to the west side of Ashland. After being moved, the church was also turned around and lengthened at that same time. The church weighed in at 10,000 tons and it was moved at “A foot a minute”. This amazing engineering accomplishment continues to draw attention to this day. Back then, it was also a topic of conversation in European circles.

Education and formation of youth in the Catholic faith has always been of great importance in the parish. The elementary school operated from 1903 to 2004. This awesome task was accepted by the Sisters of Charity of the Blessed Virgin Mary. The Sisters of the BVM dedicated their lives in service of the children and families of the parish. Thousands of children received an excellent Catholic education thru their leadership and dedication. There was even a high school for girls from 1906 until 1921. In 1944 there was a fire that destroyed the third floor and attic. Thankfully there were no injuries as the children had already been dismissed. The following year, the school was re-opened with an addition and renovation. In 1963, the enrollment soared to its highest point with more than 1200 students. But, in 2003, these numbers radically declined due to changes in the demographics of the neighborhood. The school was closed in 2004.  At that time, the parish shifted energy and resource to the development of a strong Religious Education program. There are currently about 300 students participating in this ministry of Catholic Education.

The Grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes has been a part of the parish since the beginning. Today we see the Grotto as a replica of the original Grotto in Lourdes, France. This is a special place for silent prayer and contemplation with the Lord under the guidance of the Mother of Jesus. It is a simulation of the natural rocky cave in which the Blessed Mother visited Bernadette Soubirous in France back in 1858. You can find a statue depicting St. Bernadette in our Grotto. That site in France has grown enormously as a place of where healing graces flow to pilgrims from all over the world. The ministry of healing continues to be of great important at Our Lady of Lourdes Parish. Our Grotto here in Chicago connects us to the flowing waters of Lourdes in France. In 1992, parishioners discerned to call to designate the Grotto to have twenty-four hour Perpetual Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament. A diversity of all ages, races and backgrounds gather at every hour of the day on every day of the year for silent prayer and meditation.

The population of the parish has been in constant change since the beginning. At the end of the 1800’s and the first half of the 1900’s, the parish was home to a majority of English speaking Catholics in the “suburb” of Ravenswood. At this time, the parish was predominantly of Iris descent. The area grew rapidly due to the easy access of travel to downtown Chicago via the elevated lines of the Northwestern train lines and later the “L” on Wilson Ave.

The parish has always responded to the times. For the last 30 years, the majority of incoming immigrants have been from Hispanic countries and also the Philippines. There are more than 20 different ethnic groups represented at the parish. We are also dedicating our efforts to reaching out to our newest neighbors in the area.

The parishioners of Our Lady of Lourdes Parish have always accepted the call to feed the hungry, comfort the stranger and respond to the Gospel call of justice. The Soup Kitchen began in 1981 as a Lenten project. All are welcome guests to this very day. Thousands have been nourished by a warm dinner with dessert and generous, kind volunteers from all over the city. These days, many centers in nearby agencies have closed their doors. But, Our Lady of Lourdes boldly continues to feed about 300 individuals every single Wednesday evening. The original founders of the Soup Kitchen speak fondly of this fine ministry.

Other programs have included the Social Care’s Food Pantry and S.H.A.R.E.

 

Nuestra Historia

La parroquia de Nuestra Señora de Lourdes fue fundada en 1892. El territorio original se extendía hacia el este hasta el lago Michigan y dela avenida Wellington a la avenida Devon. El barrio ha estado en constante cambio en los últimos años requiriendo la renovación y reconstrucción de la iglesia. La iglesia ha tenido tres diferentes ubicaciones desde su inicio.

Originalmente la iglesia fue un edificio de madera con un campanario al oeste de la avenida Ashland. En 1916 fue reemplazada por la actual iglesia de estilo renacimiento español pero al este de la avenida Ashland.

En 1929 la ciudad de Chicago la parroquia tomaron la decisión de mover a toda la iglesia al lado oeste de la Ashland. En el mismo proceso el templo fue alargado y girado. La iglesia pesaba 10.000 toneladas y fue trasladada a "un pie pie minuto" (30 cm por minuto). Este impresionante logro de la ingeniería continúa llamando la atención hoy en día. En aquel entonces, fue tema de conversación en los círculos europeos.

La educación y la formación de los jóvenes en la fe católica siempre ha sido de gran importancia en la parroquia. La escuela primaria funciona desde 1903 hasta nuestros 2004. Esta impresionante tarea fue asumida por las Hermanas de la Caridad de la Santísima Virgen María. Las Hermanas de la BVM pusieron sus vidas al servicio de los niños y las familias de la parroquia. Miles de niños recibieron una excelente educación católica a través de su liderazgo y dedicación. Incluso hubo una escuela secundaria para niñas a partir de 1906 a 1921. En 1944 un incendio destruyó el tercer piso y ático. Gracias a Dios no hubo heridos porque los niños ya se habían marchado a sus casas. Al año siguiente, la escuela se volvió a abrir con una adición y renovación. 1963 vio el número máximo de alumnos: más de 1200 estudiantes. Pero, en 2003, estas cifras disminuyeron radicalmente debido a los cambios en la demografía de la zona. La escuela fue cerrada desde 2004.

A partir de ese momento, la parroquia ha centrado su energía y sus recursos en el desarrollo de un fuerte programa de Educación Religiosa. En este momento hay más de 300 estudiantes participando en este ministerio de la Educación Católica.

La Gruta de Nuestra Señora de Lourdes ha sido parte de la parroquia desde el principio. Hoy vemos la gruta como una réplica de la Gruta de Lourdes en Francia. Es un lugar especial para rezar en silencio y en contemplación con el Señor bajo la guía de la Madre de Jesús. Se trata de una simulación de la cueva de roca natural en el que la Virgen se apareció a Bernadette Soubirous en Francia. Puedan encontrar una statua de Sta. Bernadette en nuestra Gruta. Ese sitio en Francia ha crecido enormemente como un lugar de sanación gracias al flujo de peregrinos de todo el mundo desde 1858. El ministerio de sanación sigue siendo de gran importancia en la parroquia de Nuestra Señora de Lourdes. Nuestra Gruta aquí en Chicago nos conecta con las aguas que fluyen de Lourdes en Francia. En 1992, los feligreses acordaron solicitar que la Gruta tuviese Adoración Perpetua del Santísimo Sacramento veinticuatro horas al día. Una gran diversidad de personas de todas las edades, razas y procedencias se reúne las veinticuatro horas del día todos los días del año para rezar en silencio y  meditar.

La población de la parroquia ha estado en constante cambio desde el principio. A finales del siglo XIX y principios del XX la parroquia era hogar principalmente de católicos de habla inglesa en el "suburbio" de Ravenswood. Había una concentración muy alta de personas de ascendencia irlandesa y aleman. El área creció rápidamente debido al fácil acceso de los viajes al centro de Chicago a través de las líneas elevadas de las líneas de trenes del Noroeste y luego el "L" en la Avenida Wilson.

La parroquia siempre ha sabido adaptarse a los tiempos. Durante los últimos 30 años, la mayoría de los inmigrantes han sido de países de habla hispana y también de las Filipinas. Hay más de 20 diferentes grupos étnicos representados en la parroquia.  También estamos dedicando nuestros esfuerzos para llegar a nuestros nuevos vecinos de la zona.

Los feligreses de la parroquia de Nuestra Señora de Lourdes siempre han aceptado la llamada para alimentar a los hambrientos, dar posada a los extranjeros y responder a la llamada del Evangelio a la justicia. El comedor de la iglesia se inició en 1981 como un proyecto de Cuaresma. Cualquier huésped está bienvenido. Miles de personas se han nutrido de una cálida cena con postre y la generosidad de nuestros voluntarios, procedentes de todos los rincones de Chicago. En estos días, muchos centros cercanos han cerrado sus puertas. Sin embargo, Nuestra Señora de Lourdes sigue alimentando con valentía a unos 300 individuos cada miércoles por la noche. Los fundadores del comedor no tienen más que hermosas palabras para este bello ministerio.

Otros programas han incluido la Despensa de la Asistencia Social  y SHARE

 

Copyright by Our Lady of Lourdes - Chicago, IL
SMB Creative Group